Saturday 22 November 2008

Design is so unappreciated

The thing which made me want to write this layout is because I saw a comment on a clients myspace page (which I recently did the layout for) asking about who did the design for it. That person then left another comment saying something like:

"You have to pay? F**k that i'm not paying for a layout"

That and the stupid amounts of emails/messages I get everyday asking for free work just makes me think about how people take design; which is all around us, for granted. They actually think that the people who sit there, racking there brains coming up with creative ideas, then putting the hours in behind a screen actually should do all that for free.

I mean all these people who ask me for free work are nobodies. Fair enough they're making music or whatever, giving out free music AND trying to sell mixtapes with covers I wouldnt wipe my arse with for over $5. Not worth it mate. You're not going anywhere as a musician for a few reasons.

1. You can't handle business
2. You take take take without giving
3. You try to bribe you're way through
4. No matter how good your lyrics are, I doubt anyone would pick up your CD at a store for the simple fact that it looks worse than used toilet paper.
5. People click the X when they go to you're myspace because YOU think that filling your profile with 1000 videos, 500 pictures, makes you seam good and don't realize that a slow loading stretched page is complete and utter BS.
6. And because you're a complete and utter dip shit because you haven't realized the following things.

Hah. I'm not speaking about every artist. I have worked with many unsigned/indie artists who are good at business, know that style/swagga now includes the internet not just prada and gold, and actually have decent music on offer.

I can't imagen the amount of messages, these pro designers get, off the low lives who think OUR TIME COMES FREE. Hell no it doesn't, at least most designers actually have tallent whilst 70% of the urban music scene is complete balls.


If you're serious in getting heard within the industry you will already know, to make money you gotta spend money. If it don't make dollars it don't make sense, therefore spending 5 minutes on paint doing your own cover that looks like crap won't make eyes pick it up, but spending some cash on a properly designed cover will catch those eyes who wouldn't normally look. Think about it.

No comments: